Generating ACA Forms and Filing
Training is available for Zenefits admins via our Training portal. These can also be accessed by logging into your Zenefits admin account and clicking Training from the bottom of the Quick Links to the right of your dashboard. From there, all ACA related training will be housed under the Compliance Assistant section.
Form Generation and Review
1) From the ACA Compliance Overview page, select Filing from the top menu bar.
2) Prior to form generation, you’ll want to review all of the information in the Employee Table for accuracy. Click the Review button under Setup & Review Info—you’ll be directed back to ACA Compliance Overview page so you can review your information.
3) Once you’re done reviewing your data for accuracy and have provided any missing information, select Filing from the top menu bar to return to the ACA Filing page. Click the Next button under Setup & Review Info to confirm that you ’ve completed your review.
4) Next, click the Generate button under Generate & Review Forms.
a) You’ll be asked to confirm your company details.
b) If your company is an Aggregated Applicable Large Employer (AALE), you’ll be asked to provide basic information about the other companies in your AALE Group . The AALE designation applies if your company is part of a group of affiliated entities under common control, such as a parent and subsidiary.
c) On the last page, you can generate your forms by clicking the button labeled Got it! Generate forms. Be patient—it may take a little while to generate all the forms for your company.
5) Once all the forms are generated, you’ll be directed back to the ACA Filing page. Click the Review button under Generate & Review Forms.
6) You’ll be taken back to the ACA Compliance Overview page. If you scroll down to the Employee Table, you will see links to View and Download 1095-C forms for each employee. You’ll also be able to download your company’s 1094-C form.
7) Review the 1094-C and 1095-C forms. If you’d like to make adjustments to the forms, you can do so by editing the underlying data within the employee table.
a) Once you ’ve made any necessary adjustments, you can click on View to view the updated forms.
8) When you’re done reviewing, select Filing in the top menu bar to return to the ACA Filing page. There will be a new Forms section on this page where you can download all of your forms at once. Click the Next button under Generate & Review forms in order to proceed.
Sending Forms to Employees
1) Next, you’ll send 1095-C forms to your employees. Click the Send button under Send Forms.
a. You’ll be asked to sign and acknowledge that you have reviewed your forms. Important: You cannot edit your forms after completing this step.
b. Next, you have the option to send emails to your employees, to let them know that their 1095-C forms are available in Zenefits. Note that we will deposit the 1095-C forms into each employee’s document library in Zenefits regardless of whether or not you opt to send emails — this option is intended to give you flexibility in how you want to communicate with your employees.
c. Next, you’ll need to download forms and send them to eligible former employees. You’ll be able to download all of your terminated employees forms at this point, and Zenefits also provides instructions in how to easily gather employee mailing addresses.
2) The last step is to indicate whether you plan to submit your forms to the IRS electronically, or via mail. Note that if you have more than 250 1095-C forms to file, the IRS requires you to e-file.
1 ) If you select E-Filing, Zenefits will automatically e-file your forms at this time. You will receive an e-mail from Zenefits informing you that your forms are being transmitted to the IRS. You can also check on the status of your filing by clicking on Filing in the top navigation bar.
2) Next, the IRS will process the forms and Zenefits will receive the status and confirmation of the submission from the IRS. This generally takes about 7 days.
a. If your forms are approved: You will be notified via e-mail that the IRS has accepted your forms. Status of the successful receipt will also be shown on the ACA Filing page.
b. If your forms are rejected: You will receive an e-mail from Zenefits alerting that your forms require corrections. You’ll be able to correct the errors in the ACA Compliance app, and you will have 60 days to do so. The ACA Filing page will display a “Not Approved” message and you will see a new button labeled Fix Errors — click on this to begin the correction and re-submission process.
1) If you select Paper Filing, Zenefits will display instructions for mailing your 1094-C and 1095-C forms to the IRS.
2) You will need to print out your forms and mail them to the IRS yourself. Click here to
view the IRS’s mailing instructions for paper filings, and click here to determine which IRS
address to use when filing ACA forms by mail.
Thank you for the feedback!