Self-Funded Companies and ACA Compliance

If a company operates a self-funded (also known as “self-insured”) health plan to its employees, Zenefits will also need to collect information about any dependents that enrolled in coverage during the filing year, including any prior plans that were active for any part of the year.

If a company has a non-calendar plan year in place (i.e., does not start in January), then the company likely had at least two different plans during the filing year (one before the renewal date, and one after). In that case, the company will need to provide dependent information for the current plan year as well as the previous plan year (which started in the previous year and ran into the current year).

Note: Please reach out to your Zenefits Customer Executive, if applicable, or the Customer Support team, if you are offering self-funded plans to your employees. There will be a couple of additional steps to include dependent enrollment information for ACA reporting purposes. Your Zenefits team will guide you on the steps. Please do not send out 1095-C forms to employees without completing the additional steps.

Was this article helpful?  

Still need our help? Our support team is waiting to help you. Contact us