Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs) are benefits programs that offer counseling services to employees for issues relating to mental health, substance abuse, bereavement, and other personal/relationship issues.
- EAP plans are optional and not every employer offers them.
- They're usually totally free for the employee, fully confidential, and fully paid by the employer.
- They're also generally provided by a third party, i.e., not by the carrier or the employer, and are only available under certain plans.
- EAPs are generally bundled with an employer's LTD plan, but are sometimes bundled with medical plans.
- Employers may choose to purchase a standalone EAP, or an LTD plan with bundled EAP