Can I see a doctor if I haven't received my insurance cards?
You are able to see a doctor if you don't have your insurance cards yet. You'll need the following information:
- Member ID: This cannot be found in your Zenefits profile because it is Protected Health Information (PHI). You can either use your SSN in place of your member ID, OR contact your insurance carrier directly to obtain it. The contact information for your specific insurance carrier can be found under the Member Services & Claims Info link of your Medical Overview page. For dental and vision coverage, your SSN may be the member ID.
- Group/Policy Number: This can be found in the Medical, Dental, or Vision Overview page underneath Plan.
- Plan Name/Type: This can be found on the Medical, Dental, or Vision Overview page underneath Plan.
Do I receive separate insurance cards for doctors and prescriptions?
You'll receive one medical insurance card that you use for both doctor's appointments and prescriptions.
How can I order new insurance ID cards?
To reorder an insurance card, you'll need to contact your insurance carrier directly. You can do this by calling the Member Services number under your Medical, Dental or Vision Overview page on Zenefits.
Alternatively, you can create an account on the insurance carrier's website to access a temporary ID card to print at home or download to your phone. Their website link will also be available under the Member Services & Claims Info section on your Medical, Dental or Vision Overview page. Member portals are also extremely useful for other reasons such as conducting provider searches, viewing your claims, or reordering a permanent card to be sent to your home.
In many cases, insurance carriers don't issue physical dental or vision ID cards. You can simply provide your SSN and Group Number to a provider at the time of service in place of a card. If you have dependents on your plan, they can provide your SSN as well.
How do I correct the information on my insurance card?
If your current card(s) have incorrect information (e.g., misspelled name, address, etc.) for you or your dependents, confirm or update it in Zenefits first, then contact your broker to have a new card ordered.
- You can update your own information in the Personal Information card.
- If your dependent's information is incorrect in Zenefits, you can edit this by clicking "Edit Dependent Details" in the Medical/Dental/Vision apps.
How do I find my member ID for insurance?
If you've lost or haven't received your insurance cards, you can contact your insurance carrier to find your Member ID. Due to restrictions around Protected Health Information (PHI), Zenefits cannot store your Member ID number in our system. You can find your insurance plan name and Group number in Zenefits and find your insurance carrier's Member Services contact information under the Medical Insurance application beneath the Member Services & Claims Info link.
For Dental and Vision insurance, you can simply use your SSN as your Member ID.
When will I receive my insurance cards?
If your insurance carrier sends out physical ID cards, you will typically receive them approximately 7-14 days after your application has been approved. If your company is currently going through Open Enrollment, your insurance carriers may not send out new cards until 30 days after the effective date for your new plan.
Most insurance carriers send out physical ID cards for medical coverage, but in many cases you won't receive a card for dental or vision. This is because you are able to use your SSN in place of your member ID number.
Some insurance carriers (such as Aetna) are stopping the practice of sending out physical ID cards. You are able to access a digital ID card by creating an account on their member portal.
Zenefits is not the one to distribute ID cards, so if you have any questions the best practice is to contact your insurance carrier directly.
Where can I find my insurance plan name and group number?
After your insurance is approved, you can access this information directly in Zenefits while you're waiting for your new cards to arrive in the mail.
- Log in to your personal Zenefits account.
- Click on the Medical, Dental or Vision Insurance app
- From the Overview page, look under Plan on the right side of your screen. You will find your plan name and group number. The information here can be used for both doctor's visits and prescriptions.
Your member ID will not be located in your Zenefits account due to Protected Health Information (PHI) restrictions. Contact your carrier at the Member Services number listed under the Member Services & Claims Info link to obtain this information.
Why did I not receive a dental or vision insurance card?
Many dental and vision carriers (e.g., Guardian) use your SSN as your Member ID number for both dental and vision insurance and do not actually issue cards to keep this information private.
If you haven't received a card, simply provide your SSN and group number to your care provider. Any dependents on your plan can also use your SSN to get care.
Contact your broker for assistance if you're still unable to get dental or vision care without a card.