Insurance carriers generally allow employees to make enrollment elections up to 30 days past the effective date for their coverage. For example, an effective date of 6/1 may have a carrier deadline of 6 /30.
Deadlines in Zenefits’ system-generated enrollment windows are shorter by design. This is to allow broker users processing time to submit elections to the carrier before the deadline.
New Hire or Move to Full-Time
- The default enrollment deadline in Zenefits for new hires is “Effective Date + 21 days.” Example: an effective date of 6/1 will have a system deadline of 6 /22
- The enrollment deadline can be customized in the Hiring or Employment Change flows:
- Confirm the desired deadline is compliant per your broker and/or insurance carrier
- Check the box to “customize the election deadline”
- Type in, or choose from the calendar, the desired election deadline
- You can shorten or lengthen the deadline, however a date greater than 30 days will not be allowed.
- You can change the default for all new hires by navigating to the Company tab in the Benefits Administration app and clicking Additional Settings on the left side
- The deadline can later be edited by a broker user with the Change Enrollment tool.
- The enrollment deadline is customized in the Start Renewals tool as part of building Open Enrollment
- The deadline can be edited for the whole group, during Open Enrollment in the Renewals Management dashboard
- The deadline can later be edited for an individual by a broker user with the Change Enrollment tool
- The default enrollment deadline in Zenefits for Qualifying Life Events is “Event Date + 27 days.”Example: an event date of 6/1 will have a system deadline of 6 /28
- This deadline is not customizable.
- If a QLE needs to be input past the system deadline, the broker user should process the enrollment directly with the carrier and then update Zenefits using the Add Coverage tool.
Note: Broker users can also manually create enrollment windows for most enrollment types using the Create Enrollment tool.