FAQs About Child & Elderly Care FSAs

Employees who sign up for a Child & Elderly Care FSA can use those expenses to claim the child and dependent care tax credit. However, in order to claim this credit, employees and their spouses who are filing jointly must have earned income, unless the spouse is actively looking for work, a full-time student, or disabled.

Zenefits does not provide tax advice. For more information about claiming child and dependent care tax credits, please see this IRS page.

Yes! Births count as a qualifying life event. Once your new child is born, contact Support within 30 days of the birth and provide proof of birth, such as a birth certificate or letter from the hospital confirming the birth.

  • If you don't already have a Child & Elderly Care FSA, you'll be able to set one up.
  • If you do have a Child & Elderly Care FSA, you'll be able to make changes to your contributions.

Dependents do not need to be enrolled on your insurance plan in order for you to set up a Child & Elderly Care FSA. However, you can't begin contributing to a new Child & Elderly Care FSA, or make changes to an existing one, until your child is born.

Yes! A recurring Child & Elderly Care FSA claim is an automated reimbursement for regularly occurring out-of-pocket dependent care expenses, such as a nanny or preschool. 

The first purchase must be confirmed by Zenefits. Once the expense has been verified, provide the following documentation to Zenefits Support to set up the recurring payment:

  • The dates when services will be provided, and
  • A letter from their care provider with an explanation of all the eligible expenses for those dates.

Keep in mind that you can't set up a recurring claim if the amount changes from month to month.

You can use your Zenefits Card to pay for eligible expenses with funds from your Child & Elderly Care FSA. If you pay for an eligible expense out of pocket, you can submit a claim to receive a reimbursement.

You can use your Child & Elderly Care FSA funds to pay someone to take care of your child or adult dependent so that you can work or look for work.

  • Here's a list of common work-related expenses that are eligible for Child & Elderly Care funds, including day care, after-school care, and custodial care for adult dependents.
  • You can also see this IRS guide about Child and Dependent Care Expenses for more information on how to determine whether a particular expense qualifies as a work-related expense.
Please note that transactions that are in the future can not be submitted until the service date has passed. 

When you file a claim for a Child & Elderly Care FSA expense, only the amount of funds available in your account at the time can be reimbursed. If your account's balance was less than the expense, you'll only be reimbursed for the balance in your account. The remainder will reimbursed to you as your account balance increases. For example, if you file a claim for $1000, but your account currently has only $500, you'll only be reimbursed $500 initially, until your account's balance increases.

If you believe there has been an issue with your claim, contact Support.

Still need our help? Our support team is waiting to help you. Contact us