Are there special requirements for using a child & elderly care FSA?

To use the funds from a Child & Elderly Care FSA, you need to be working or currently looking for work, and you likely need to claim your dependent(s) on your federal tax return.

  • If your dependent is a child, they must be 13 years or younger.
  • If your dependent is over 13 years old, they must be physically or mentally unable to care for themselves, and have lived with you for more than half the year.

See the IRS rules for determining whether a person qualifies as a eligible dependent for the purposes of a Child & Elderly Care FSA.

Was this answer helpful?  

Still need our help? Our support team is waiting to help you. Contact us