How do I request additional eligibility documents?
Per USCIS regulations, employers must accept documents that reasonably appear to be genuine and relate to the person presenting them. However, if your new hire provides a document that does not reasonably appear to be genuine and relate to them, you must reject that document and ask for other documents that satisfy the requirements of Form I-9. You may request the additional eligibility documents during their onboarding by following the steps below:
1. In the Workers section of the admin dashboard, click on the person who you want to request additional documents from, or click the Directory app and choose from the list of workers.
2. Click on Documents on the left side of the page.
3. In the I-9 section, place your pointer over the Requires Action banner and click on Verify.
4. Select "No, we need to make some changes." to the question "Is the above accurate and are all verification documents acceptable?"
5. Enter a description of what documents are needed and click Send.
New hires will receive an email notification with a link to upload the documents. The worker will also be able to open the Personal Information app and select the Work Eligibility& I-9 section to upload the additional documents. Once they complete the request, the verification can be completed.
**Note** If a correction has been requested, the banner will say In Progress. Hovering over the banner will display a message that says "You requested that [Worker Name] make corrections to their I-9 in Zenefits." A correction request cannot be canceled once it has been requested. The worker will have to upload a document to allow the administrator or manager to complete the verification.
Thank you for the feedback!