How to hire an independent contractor
Hiring a Contractor
- From your admin account in Zenefits, click into the Hiring app and click Add Team Member.
- After entering in the new hire contact info, you'll choose Employment Type and Classification.
- If you select Contingent Worker, you'll see the option for Independent Contractor.
- Fill in the job and compensation details.
- Decide if you'll be running a background check for the contractor.
- If you'll be adding them to any of your company's integrated apps, set up any required information next.
- Confirm hiring details look correct, then decide if you will be sending the invitation now or later.
Once the invite has been sent, there is a list of tasks that your contractor needs to complete during onboarding. You can view their progress by navigating to the Offers Sent section of the Hiring Overview page, and hovering over the info symbol next to their name.
- Register with Zenefits
- Accept and sign offer letter (if applicable)
- Accept and sign additional documents (if applicable)
- Add personal info
- Fill in any custom fields
- Provide taxpayer identification number (fill out W-9)
Thank you for the feedback!