March 19, 2020:
- All new I-9 forms generated in Zenefits will be using the new version of the form. You can tell the form is the new version by the 2022 expiration date.
January 31, 2020:
- The USCIS has released a new version of the I-9 to be used by May 1, 2020. For additional information, see here.
As of September 8, 2017:
- We will add the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) to List C. Employers completing Form I-9 on a computer will be able to select Form FS-240 from the drop-down menus available in List C of Section 2 and Section 3. E-Verify users will also be able to select Form FS-240 when creating a case for a worker who has presented this document for Form I-9.
- We will combine all the certifications of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545, Form DS-1350 and Form FS-240) into selection C#2 in List C.
- We will renumber all List C documents except the Social Security card. For example, the employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security on List C will change from List C #8 to List C #7.
The USCIS website has further information. For your convenience, there is a blank version of the new I-9 form here.
Storage and retention requirements have not changed, so continue to use the existing rules here. You also will not need to complete Section 3 (reverification) using the new form.
Updates Zenefits is making to the I-9 instructions:
- We will change the name of the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices to its new name, Immigrant and Employee Rights Section.
- We will remove “the end of” from the phrase “the first day of employment".
For more information, you may visit the USCIS website.