It is important for all workers to be assigned to accurate work locations at all times, for tax purposes. If someone is working from their place of residence, their home address should be assigned as their work location to ensure state and local taxes are generated appropriately in Zenefits Payroll.
The steps to mark a worker as remote in Zenefits are as follows:
- Access the worker profile.
- On the employee information page, click Edit Employment Info in the Actions menu.
- Specify when the change should go into effect.
- Within the Employment & Compensation Section, check Remote Location (Worker's Home Address) box.
- Type in a reason for the proposed changes.
- Review and Confirm Changes.
This will create a new work location for the individual under Company Profile and automatically assign the worker.
Note: If the worker chooses to update the home address later from their profile page, the work location linked to their home address will also get updated. An address change notification will also get triggered for home address update.
If a work location needs to be changed and backdated, please use the following steps:
- log into your Zenefits Admin account and click the Company Profile app.
- Click on Addresses & Labor Groups on the left hand side of your screen.
- Click the +Add Work Location link and enter the new work location's information.
Assign the work location to a worker:
- Access the worker profile from the Directory.
- Navigate to Employment & Compensation and select Make Changes.
- Select the option "A change that already happened" and enter the correct effective date.
- Next, update the Work Location by selecting the correct location you just created from the drop down menu.
- Complete the steps and click Save.