What is a "guaranteed issue" amount?
A plan's guaranteed issue (GI) is the amount of life insurance available to an employee without having to provide Evidence of Insurability, or EOI.
For Guaranteed Issues, Zenefits supports:
- Fixed amounts only, e.g., $80k.
- Different GI for each enrollee type (employee, spouse, child), e.g., employee has $80k, spouse has $40k, child has $10k
- Two types of secondary GI, which apply at an open enrollment, not for new hire enrollments or enrollments for employees that are newly eligible:
- Anyone who was previously enrolled will have a GI of their previously approved amount e.g. if an enrollee is currently approved for $50k, their GI at the open enrollment is $50k, regardless of the GI amount that was available to them when they first enrolled
- For an employee who was previously eligible for voluntary life and has declined, their GI in an open enrollment will be $0, thus they will be prompted for an EOI for any amount elected.
- GIs based on age, gender, and status.
If you select an amount of coverage over the guaranteed issue amount, Zenefits will notify you of this in the enrollment flow, and then through your Zenefits account inbox, will provide you with an EOI to fill out. There will also be instructions on how to submit your EOI to the insurance carrier.
Thank you for the feedback!