Do I need an SSN to enroll in coverage?

Though insurance applications normally require a Social Security Number (SSN), other forms of identification are valid for certain individuals.


Social Security Numbers (SSNs) are required for employees enrolling in group health coverage through their company. In the event that they do not have an SSN (e.g., in the case of someone working in the US on a work visa or students on an F-1 Visa), they can use their Individual Tax ID Number (ITIN) instead. 

They may also be required to provide one of the following documents, at the carrier's discretion, to prove that they are legally living in the US:

  • Alien Registered Receipt Card with Photograph (INS Form 1-151 or -551).
  • US passport (updated or expired).
  • Certificate of US Citizenship (INS Form N-560 or N-561).
  • Certificate of Naturalization (INS Form N-550 or N-570).
  • Updated foreign passport with I-551 stamp pr INS Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization.
  • Updated Temporary Resident Card (INS Form I-688).
  • Updated Employment Authorization Card (INS Form I-688A).
  • Updated Reentry Permit (INS Form 1-327).
  • Updated Refugee Travel Documents (INS Form I-571).
  • Updated Employment Authorization Document issued by the INS which contains a photograph (INS Form I-688B).


If you would like to view additional information about enrolling dependents without SSNs, please see this page.

Was this answer helpful?  

Still need our help? Our support team is waiting to help you. Contact us