How do I complete enrollment if I'm hired during Open Enrollment?
New hires who enter a company around open enrollment time will participate in open enrollment and be covered under the new plans (and old plans when appropriate).
The employee is hired with a prior effective date and the Open Enrollment plans have been loaded.
- The new hire will first enroll in company's existing plans after they complete new hire onboarding. If they do not make a benefit election after onboarding, when they next log into their Zenefits account, they'll see a task titled "Enroll in or decline insurance coverage"
- Once they click on this task, they'll go through a flow to enroll or decline in the following steps:
1. Verification of personal information
2. Selecting or declining plans
3. Completing the application
4. Approve your selections (reminder that this election will be for the current year's plans and rates
- Then the employee will receive another task to go through Open Enrollment following the completion of Initial Enrollment, and select from the new plan choices.
The employee is hired with a prior effective date and the Open Enrollment plans have not been loaded.
- The new hire will not be able to enroll. This means the system is working correctly. It will automatically prevent the employee from enrolling in the company's current plans, that may be removed during Open Enrollment.
- Once the new plans have been loaded for Open Enrollment, the employee will be able to enroll in their plans as intended and will only need to go through one enrollment flow. It is only after the admin selects the plans for renewal that enrollment for the employee will be opened and notified via email.
The employee is hired with same or later effective date and the Open Enrollment plans have been loaded.
- The employee will go through enrollment as usual in Zenefits and will not see the previous plans.
Waiting Periods and New Hires
If an employee is hired into a company near Open Enrollment time and the company is changing their waiting period, the employee will have the waiting period that the company used at their date of hire.
Thank you for the feedback!