How can I enroll in or cancel coverage due to a qualifying life event?
A qualifying life event (QLE) is an event that allows an employee to make changes to their health enrollments outside of their company's open enrollment period.
Some examples of qualifying life events are:
- Having a baby or adopting a child.
- Getting married or divorced.
- Loss of previous coverage.
- Change in employment status.
- Becoming eligible for Medicare.
- Log in to your Zenefits account.
- Go to the Medical, Dental, or Vision Insurance app.
- Click on the Make Changes button.
- Indicate your desired change — enroll in insurance, change plans, add or remove others, or cancel insurance.
- Select your Qualifying Event from the Reason for Change dropdown.
- Input your event date.
- If you are canceling insurance or removing dependents, select the coverage to cancel or remove, and click Continue. Otherwise, click Continue to proceed to the enrollment flow to enroll in coverage.
- You may be prompted to upload an image of the corresponding documentation for the QLE (marriage license, divorce decree, birth certificate, death certificate, COCC, or COBRA election notice).
- If you don't have the proof of eligibility on hand, you can skip uploading the document by clicking “I don't have my documents - upload later.” You will need to upload the document within 27 days of the QLE in Zenefits to allow processing time with your broker and carrier.
- Proceed through the enrollment process, sign, and submit your application.
Thank you for the feedback!