Am I required to collect unpaid taxes from employees?

In the event that an employee is undertaxed in a pay run, payroll administrators have two options:

  • Request that the employee reimburse the company for the taxes that were not withheld from that paycheck. In Zenefits Payroll, the tax amount can be recovered through garnishments.
  • "Forgive" the taxes. In this case, the amount that should have been paid as taxes is considered income to the employee. If this amount is greater than $600, you should issue a 1099 to the employee (much like you would for a contractor).
If you are using Zenefits Payroll and believe an employee was not taxed correctly, contact Zenefits Customer Care. 

Was this answer helpful?  

Still need our help? Our support team is waiting to help you. Contact us