How do I pay commission in Zenefits Payroll?
Here's how to pay commission alongside regular earnings, or separately in an off-cycle run.
Pay Commission in Regular Pay Run
To pay a commission in a regularly scheduled pay run:
- In the Payroll app, click Pay Runs in the top menu bar.
- Choose the name of the upcoming pay run in the Drafts list.
- Click Edit to open an employee's paystub for the run.
- Click +Add New Earning.
- Select "Commission" from the list of earnings types.
- Enter the amount.
- Click Save.
Pay Commission in Off-Cycle Run
To pay a commission outside of an employee's normal pay schedule:
- Choose Pay Runs in the Payroll app.
- Click Add Off-Cycle Run in the upper right corner of the Pay Runs page.
- Select between creating a new run, or cloning an existing one.
- Give the payroll a descriptive name, e.g., Huge Sales Close Commission, and a pay date.
- Use the toggle for Third Party Sick Pay, if applicable.
- Choose from the following selections:
- Include regular deductions and contributions
- "Time-Based Tax Rate" and the employee's normal pay schedule to calculate taxes based on the employee's Federal and State filing status and allowances
(if this is not checked, it will default to state specific tax rates and the fixed federal rate)
- Whether to display a work period for the run.
- Check the box next to the name to include that person on the run.
- Click Edit for the selected individual.
- Click +Add New Earnings.
- Select "Commission" from the list of earnings types, then click Add.
- Enter the amount of the commission.
- If necessary, change the employee's payment method (e.g., from Direct Deposit to Check) at the top of their paystub.
- When finished click Save, then Close to return to the Pay Run page.
- Now, submit and approve pay run as you normally would.
Thank you for the feedback!