How to Create and Delete an Off-Cycle Payroll
Before beginning, remember that off-cycle runs are subject to the same processing deadline as regularly scheduled runs. For example, for a company that normally runs payroll 4 days before check date, any off-cycle run will be paid 4 days from the day it's submitted.
*If you need a same day check date, you must first change the payment method for the individual to Check, then change the check date within the payroll run. Make sure this date is compliant with state laws where the employee works (see this list).
To create an off-cycle payroll run:
- In the Payroll app, choose Pay Runs in the top menu bar.
- Click Add Off-Cycle Payroll in the upper right corner of the Pay Runs page.
- You can either Create a new pay run or Clone an existing pay run.
- Give the payroll a descriptive name, e.g., Christmas Bonus Payroll, and a pay date. Note that the name of the Pay Run will be displayed in the Notes section of the worker's pay stub- so you may not want to name it "Final Paycheck."
- Select if you'd like all workers or a custom selection of workers to appear in the pay run.
- Choose from the following options:
|Include regular deductions & contributions:||Health benefits that are normally deducted |
|Show a pay period on paystubs:||The dates the employee is being paid|
|Use time based tax withholding rate:||By default, supplemental wages will be taxed at state specific rates and the federal rate of 22%. Otherwise, select from every week, every other week, twice a month, or monthly.|
7. Check the box next to the name of each person who should be paid in the run.
8. Click Edit Paystub on the right side of the screen to add earnings.
9. After everything is entered, Finalize and Preview.
10. Review the run and taxes, then Approve.
To delete an off-cycle payroll run:
- Select the off-cycle run you wish to delete from the Pay Runs page of the Payroll app.
- In the upper right corner of the edit table, click on the three stacked dots
- Select Delete Run.
- Confirm that you wish to delete (note that this cannot be later undone).
What's a time-based tax withholding rate?
Thank you for the feedback!