R&D Tax Credit Form 6765 and Form 8974

The federal R&D tax credit, also known as the Research and Experimentation (R&E) tax credit, is intended to reward U.S. based companies to increase their investment in R&D for the current tax year. 

At this time Zenefits Payroll cannot support it. 

What are these forms? 

Form 6765 is a tax credit for increasing research and Form 8974is a specific small business tax credit for increasing research. A qualified small business that elects to claim the payroll tax credit will claim the payroll tax credit against the employer’s portion of social security tax on its employment tax return for the first quarter that begins after it files the return reflecting the payroll tax election. A qualified small business claiming the payroll tax credit on its employment tax return must complete Form 8974

What happens if we file it on our own? 

If you do, we will not be able to assist with any tax notices that come as a result and we cannot confirm that the federal filings will be correct.

Was this answer helpful?  

Still need our help? Our support team is waiting to help you. Contact us