State Deposit and Filing Schedules in Zenefits Payroll
During setup, Zenefits Payroll will ask you for the deposit schedules assigned to your company by agencies in each state where you pay employees. The schedule you select will determine how often Zenefits Payroll should deposit and file your accumulated income, FICA taxes, and other state taxes. All state Unemployment taxes are filed and paid on a quarterly basis.
How Are Deposit Schedules Assigned?
- Deposit schedules are assigned based on the amount of taxes you accumulate in a period. The more you pay your employees, the higher the amount of taxes you'll accumulate, and the more frequently you're required to pay and file your taxes.
- If your accumulated taxes increase beyond the maximum allowed for your current deposit schedule, Zenefits Payroll will automatically start depositing and filing your taxes on a more frequent schedule (as determined by Federal or State guidelines), assuming you aren't already on the most frequent schedule.
- In states where deposit schedules aren't determined solely by accumulated withholding (e.g., those without income tax), Zenefits Payroll will default you to the correct schedule using the state's rules.
There are a couple of exceptions:
- All accumulated Federal and State unemployment taxes (and surcharges) in all states on will be filed and paid on quarterly basis.
- For most companies, Zenefits Payroll will deposit all Federal taxes on a semi-weekly schedule. For those who accumulate over $100,000 in Federal tax liability within a normal deposit period, Zenefits Payroll will deposit taxes on the following business day.
Thank you for the feedback!