Alabama Payroll Tax and Registration Guide

Account Number(s) Needed:

Companies who pay employees in Alabama must register with the AL Department of Revenue for a Withholding Account Number and register with the AL Department of Labor for an Unemployment Compensation Account Number.

Department of Revenue: R999999999 or 0000999999

  • Register online with the AL Dept of Revenue to receive a Withholding Account Number within 5-7 days.
  • Find a existing Withholding Account Number:
    - On Form A-1 or A-3, Employer's Quarterly or Annual Return of Income Tax Filed.

Department of Labor: 9999999999

  • Register online at the AL eGov site to receive UC account number on completion of the application.
  • Find an existing UC account number:
    - On Form UC-CR-4 or UC-10R.
    - Online at the AL eGov site.

Required Payroll Documentation:


  • Form A-1 (Employers Quarterly Return of Income Tax Withheld): This return is normally filed electronically. The data on return is useful to help balance Alabama income tax withholding and remittances. 


  • Form UC CR-4 CR4A  (Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report): This return is filed electronically. eFile is required by the state. 

Third Party Access /POA Needed:

  • Department of Labor 

Local Income Taxes Imposed:  

  • Yes

State Resources

Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details:

Still need our help? Our support team is waiting to help you. Contact us