Account Number(s) Needed:
Companies who pay employees in Connecticut must register with the CT Department of Revenue Services (DRS) for a Tax Registration Number and the CT Department of Labor (DOL) for a Employer Registration Number.
CT DOR Tax Registration Number: 9999 9999-000 or 999 9999-000 (10-11 digits , last three are always 000)
- Find an existing Tax Registration Number or apply online at the DRS portal to receive the number within 7-10 business days. Learn more.
CT DOL Employer Registration Number: 99-999-99 ( 7 digits)
- Find an existing Employer Registration Number or apply online at the DOL after paying first wages and accumulating $1500 of UIliability to receive an Employer Registration number and UI tax rate immediately upon completion of the application.
- Some CT employers may be "Reimbursable". This means the employer would be required to file subject wages, but do not pay unemployment insurance through payroll tax deductions. Instead, CT sends out monthly billings for the reimbursement of benefits paid. If an admin is "Reimbursable", they should check the box indicating so in their CT tax settings.
Required Payroll Documentation:
CT-941 ( Connecticut Quarterly Reconciliation of Withholding): This report is a good source of information used to balance wages and taxes withheld from prior quarters.
CT UC_2 (Employer Contribution Return and Employee Quarterly Earnings Report): Employers can file online or by paper. This return is a good source of information to use to balance employee earnings and employer contributions for prior quarters.
Third Party Access /POA Needed :
- Dept. of Revenue Services (Withholding Taxes) - Yes
Required Information for Zenefits to raise the third party access on Connecticut Department of Revenue Services portal. Please provide any one of the following:
- Letter ID - This number will be displayed on most Connecticut Department of Revenue Services (DRS) correspondence.
- One of the last 3 payments the taxpayer made to the Connecticut DRS.
- One of the last 3 return tax due amounts already reported to the Connecticut DRS.
- The account ID that corresponds to the requested account (you can log in to the CT DOR account profile and view your account ID, this is not your tax account number)
Local Income Taxes Imposed:
Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details: