Account Number(s) Needed:
Companies who pay employees in Maryland must register with the MD Comptroller for a Central Registration Number and an Employer Account Number. Apply online using the combined application to receive both numbers.
MD Central Registration Number (CRN): 99999999 (8 digits)
- The MD Comptroller issues CRNs within 5-7 days of a completed application. Email taxhelp@marylandtaxes. gov after 5 days to expedite the process.
- Find an existing CRN:
- on Form MW506, Employer’s Return of Income Tax Withheld.
- by contacting the MD Comptroller.
MD Employer Account Number (EAN): 9999999999 (10 digits)
- The MD Comptroller issues EANs within 6 weeks of a completed application.
- Find an existing EAN:
Required Payroll Documentation:
- MW 506 (Employer's Return of Income Tax Withheld): This return can be filed electronically. This is a good source of information used to balance the amount of income tax withheld in prior quarters.
- Maryland Quarterly Contribution & Employment Report: This return is eFiled electronically so you can use a payroll report that contains employee unemployment wages and employer contribution amounts.
Third Party Access /POA Needed:
Local Income Taxes Imposed:
Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details: