Account Number(s) Needed:
Companies who pay employees in Michigan must register with the MI Department of Treasury for a Withholding Account Number and the MI Unemployment Insurance Agency for a UI Account Number. MI also requires businesses to register for city income taxes in a number of cities.
MI Withholding Account Number: 99-9999999 (9 digits, actually the Federal EIN)
MI UI Account Number: 9999999 or 99999 99999 (6 or 10 digits)
- Apply online at the Unemployment Insurance Agency's eRegistration portal to receive a UI Account Number within 3 business days.
- Find an existing UI Account Number:
Required Payroll Documentation:
- Form 5080 (Sales, Use and Withholding Taxes Monthly / Quarterly Return): This is a combined tax return. It can be used as a source of information to balance the withholding taxes paid in prior quarters.
- Forms UIA 1020 (Employer's Quarterly Tax Report) & Form UIA 1017 (Wage Detail Report: These returns are a good source of information to use to balance employee gross wages, excess wages and taxable wages as well as any employer contributions made in prior quarters.
Third Party Access /POA Needed:
- Yes (Requested by Zenefits, no action required from the company)
Local Income Taxes Imposed:
Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details
Department of Treasury for withholding taxes
Labor and Economic Opportunity for unemployment taxes