Account Number(s) Needed:
Companies who pay employees in MN must register online
with the Minnesota Department of Revenue for a Tax ID Number and online
with the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (also known as Unemployment Minnesota) for an Unemployment Insurance Employer Account Number.
MN also requires employers to register their payroll provider
as an authorized third-party
administrator with the Minnesota Revenue and Unemployment agencies to allow the provider to file and pay taxes in MN.
MN Dept of Revenue Tax ID Number: 9999999 (7 digits)
- Register online at the MN Dept of Revenue to receive a Tax ID Number immediately.
- Find an existing Tax ID Number:
- online at Minnesota Revenue's E-Services portal
- by contacting the DOR.
- Zenefits will take care of setting you up as our client in the portal - just make sure to grant our permissions request
MN Unemployment Insurance (UI) Employer Account Number: 9999999 or 09999999-0999 (7 or 12 digits)
- Register online at Unemployment Minnesota to receive a UI Employer Account Number immediately and a temporary password for authorizing a third party agent to file and pay MN Unemployment taxes.
- Find an existing UI Employer Account Number:
Required Payroll Documentation:
- Withholding tax returns must be filed electronically. Use a Payroll report that contains Employee SSN, Quarterly Wages Paid and Withheld Amounts.
- Unemployment Quarterly UI Wage Detail reports are filed electronically. Use a payroll report that contains Employee Name, SSN, Gross Wages, and Paid Hours Worked.
Third Party Access /POA Needed:
Local Income Taxes Imposed:
Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details