Minnesota Payroll Tax and Registration Guide

Account Number(s) Needed:

Companies who pay employees in MN must register online with the Minnesota Department of Revenue for a Tax ID Number and online with the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (also known as Unemployment Minnesota) for an Unemployment Insurance Employer Account Number.
MN also requires employers to register their payroll provider as an authorized third-party administrator with the Minnesota Revenue and Unemployment agencies to allow the provider to file and pay taxes in MN.
MN Dept of Revenue Tax ID Number: 9999999 (7 digits)
  • Register online at the MN Dept of Revenue to receive a Tax ID Number immediately.
  • Find an existing Tax ID Number:
    • online at Minnesota Revenue's E-Services portal
    • by contacting the DOR.
  • Zenefits will take care of setting you up as our client in the portal - just make sure to grant our permissions request
MN Unemployment Insurance (UI) Employer Account Number: 9999999 or 09999999-0999 (7 or 12 digits)

Required Payroll Documentation:


  • Withholding tax returns must be filed electronically. Use a Payroll report that contains Employee SSN, Quarterly Wages Paid and Withheld Amounts.


  • Unemployment Quarterly UI Wage Detail reports are filed electronically. Use a payroll report that contains Employee Name, SSN, Gross Wages, and Paid Hours Worked

Third Party Access /POA Needed:

Local Income Taxes Imposed:  


State Resources:

Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details

      Dept. of Revenue for withholding taxes

      Authorize Zenefits Payroll as Third Party Administrator in Minnesota

      Employers who use Zenefits Payroll to pay employees in Minnesota must authorize Zenefits Payroll as a third-party administrator (TPA) with the Minnesota Departments of Revenue a... Learn more

      Minnesota Unemployment Reporting Requirement for Owners/Officers

      Owners are Potentially ExemptThe following owners/officers are exempt from Minnesota Unemployment Insurance Tax according to Minnesota Law §268.035, Subd.20 (29):Corporate offic... Learn more

      Still need our help? Our support team is waiting to help you. Contact us