District of Columbia (DC) Payroll Tax and Registration Guide

Account Number(s) Needed:

Companies who pay employees in Washington DC must register with the DC Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR) for an Employer Account Number and register with the DC Department of Employment Services (DOES) for an Employment Services Number. DC also requires employers to register their payroll provider as authorized third party administrator with the DOES to allow the provider to file and pay DC unemployment taxes.

When entering account numbers into the system, make sure not to enter any dashes. These can cause issues when it comes time for filing.

DC OTR Employer Account Number: 999999999999 (12 digits)

DC DOES Employment Services Number: 999 999 (6 digits)

Required Payroll Documentation:


  • FR900Q ( Employer /Payor  Withholding Tax Quarterly Return): This return is a good source of information to use to balance DC Income tax withheld from wages, tips, and other compensation for prior quarters.


  • Form  UC-30 ( Employer Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report): This return is a good source of information to use to balance employee wages and employer contribution amounts for prior quarters.

Third Party Access /POA Needed:


Local Income Taxes Imposed:  


State Resources:

Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details:

      Authorizing Zenefits Payroll as Third Party Administrator in Washington DC

      Employers who use Zenefits Payroll to pay employees in Washington DC must authorize Zenefits Payroll as a third-party administrator (TPA) and grant Power of Attorney (POA) with ... Learn more

      Washington DC Paid Family & Medical Leave

      The District of Columbia (DC) has released new guidelines about how Paid Family & Medical Leave should be handled. As a statewide program, employers and employees can contribute... Learn more

      Still need our help? Our support team is waiting to help you. Contact us