How to create a Limited Time Off Policy in Zenefits
Limited time off policies cap the amount of paid time off available to your workers.
- Log in to Zenefits, and click Set Up in the Time Off app.
- If you already have a policy set up, you'll need to select Settings and then +Add Policy.
- Choose which holidays the company will observe. This list contains US Federal holidays by default. You can add custom holidays and remove Federal holidays, if desired.
- Enter the number of hours in a normal workday.
- Check each day in the week that's a workday at the company.
- Select the types of time off your company offers.
- Set the types of time off that people can take. You can add, edit, and delete types of time off during this step.
- Enter the policy's base accrual rate (in days). You can also choose to set tenure milestones where accrual rates will increase as people hit these milestones.
- Set the accrual frequency. You will also need to select if people will accrue time off in advance or after the accrual period. (Yearly, Quarterly, Monthly, Semi-monthly, Bi-weekly, Weekly)
- Set additional options for balance caps and minimum increments for requests.
- Set caps or resets on maximum accrual.
- Choose to allow workers to hold a negative balance on this account, and if new hires should receive a prorated amount of time for this account or to set caps on one or more of the accounts on the policy,
- Choose the minimum increment for requests. This is the smallest amount that someone can request at one time.
- After completing vacation setup, you will be prompted to make the same selections for Sick and Personal leave, if they were selected.
- Select the people that should be assigned to this policy. They'll receive an email when setup is complete.
- Enter the number of hours in a normal workday, and check off each day in the week that's a workday at the company.
- Select the people that should be assigned this policy. They'll receive an email when setup is complete.
- If desired, download an Excel sheet, complete it with existing accrued balances, and upload it to Zenefits to set the starting PTO balances for these workers.
- The effective date is the date on which these balances are correct NOT when the policy should take effect. Zenefits uses this date to determine when to accrue next.Administrators can add a day in the past or future depending on the uploaded balance.
- Confirm the people who will be assigned to this policy.
- Click Email Workers to complete setup.
Thank you for the feedback!