How do I set up and enable Project Codes?
Project codes allow workers to track what tasks they are working on throughout the day so you can see how many hours are being devoted to different types of work. Setting them up is simple:
First, you'll want to make sure you've set up Projects in the Company Profile.
- Open the Company Profile app and select Projects from the left hand menu.
- Click Manage Projects.
- Click Enter Manually and use the interface on the next page.
- Click Add Row at the bottom, and type in the project name.
- Then, once the project name shows up on the left, you can click into the field to its right to add a code.
- Project names may only contain alphanumeric characters and hyphens. Project codes may only contain up to 10 alphanumeric characters.
- Make sure that there are no duplicate project names or codes.
- Note that codes are required in order to use Projects in Time & Attendance and Zenefits Payroll.
Then, you'll assign Projects.
- Open the Directory app.
- Select the name of someone who should be assigned the Project.
- Select the Work Groups tab, then click the Make Changes link.
- Select an effective date for change, then Continue.
- Under Projects, assign codes to each Project.
- Complete the rest of the steps of the flow and Confirm.
- Open the Directory app.
- Click the Bulk Update button.
- Make sure to check the box next to Projects, then Download Spreadsheet (note that you can use this edit to make multiple types of updates, but if you have a lot of Projects the spreadsheet can require a lot of scrolling).
- In the spreadsheet, there will be a column for you to assign a Project to someone (change No to Yes in the row with the individual's name).
- If you'd like to assign a primary project to someone, simply type Primary instead of Yes/No in the column for that project. However, this isn't required.
- Note that you won't be able to add new Projects (or additional columns or rows) to the spreadsheet. You'll need to follow the set of instructions at the top of the page to create new Projects.
- Once you're done making edits, save the spreadsheet and return to the Bulk Update page in Zenefits.
- Click Next, then upload your spreadsheet.
- Validate Spreadsheet, then fix any errors that appear in the box below.
Note that any blank fields in a required column will return an error.
- Once all the errors have been cleared, you can Submit Spreadsheet. All changes will take effect immediately.
Next, you'll enable the Projects created in Time & Attendance.
- In Time & Attendance Settings, select Work Groups.
- Click the pencil icon to edit, then toggle Project to enable.
- Click Save.
How to enable Projects for only specific workers.
- In Time & Attendance People tab, select someone you'd like to use Projects.
- Select the Work Groups tab, then scroll until you see the Use Company Defaults checkbox.
- Uncheck the Use Company Defaults box.
- Click the pencil/edit icon and toggle Project on, then Save.
What should I do if I receive a Missing Project pop-up while enabling project codes?
Why can my workers clock in without being required to select a Project?
Thank you for the feedback!