Skip to main content

Important Announcement: To search and view all articles, please make sure you are signed into your Zenefits account.



FAQs about Onboarding as an Employee

► How does Zenefits use my gender identity?

If you choose to provide a personal gender identity along with your legal sex during onboarding, Zenefits will display it along with legal sex in your Basic Information in the Personal Information card.

Zenefits will not use your personal gender identity in any other way or display it to anyone else, including your manager or coworkers. If you add a personal gender identity, you'll also have the option to choose personal pronouns, which will be visible to your coworkers and manager when they find you in the Directory. If a worker has legally changed their sex, this information may need to be updated with the insurance carrier. 


► Can I enter an international emergency contact?
No. Currently, Zenefits doesn't support international phone numbers for Emergency Contacts.


► How does Zenefits use my personal pronouns?
You have the option to select (from a dropdown menu) which personal pronouns Zenefits should display for you. Like your gender identity, Zenefits will display your pronouns in your Basic Information in the Personal Info card. Unlike your gender identity, which is visible only to you, your personal pronouns are visible to your coworkers, manager, and admin in your profile page.


► Why does Zenefits ask for my legal sex?

While Section 1557 of the ACA prohibits discrimination in health care coverage on the basis of sex, insurance carriers still request an employee's sex when collecting basic demographic information about individuals applying for coverage. Government agencies also collect this information. For example, the Equal Employment and Opportunity Commission (EEOC) collects gender for federal reporting purposes. However, these agencies consider this information to be protected and confidential information.

Zenefits uses this information to satisfy EEOC reporting requirements and to complete an employee's application for coverage, and collects it as "legal sex," during the onboarding or enrollment process. Employees with a gender identity that differs from their legal sex have the option to voluntarily specify a gender identity before and after onboarding to Zenefits. Learn more about how Zenefits uses your gender identity.


How do I upload a photo of myself?

To upload a new photo or change your existing photo in Zenefits:

Log in to Zenefits. On your dashboard, click the Personal Information app. Click on your photo to the left of your name. Use the file uploader  to choose a photo.


Why does Zenefits ask for a personal email address?
Registering with a personal email allows an employee to continue to access their Zenefits account even when they leave the company and their work email is disabled.


How can I find my lost offer letter and registration link?

If you're a new hire and you lost the email link to sign your offer letter and register in Zenefits:

  1. Go to the Zenefits homepage.
  2. Click the Login button.
  3. Click the Sign up button.
  4. Click the Employee Account tab. 
  5. Enter your email address and click Request.


How do I update my email address in Zenefits?

Once you've created an account in Zenefits, both your registered and personal email addresses associated with the Zenefits account can be changed. Here's how:

  1. Log in to Zenefits.
  2. In the  upper-right  hand corner of your dashboard, click the drop down arrow next to your photo.
  3. Select Account Settings.
  4. Click Edit next to the email address you'd like to change.
  5. Click Save.

Note: Adminstrators  may also edit the personal email address of employees by clicking Personal Info on the employees dashboard, and scrolling down to Contact Info. 

If you are experiencing trouble with updating your email, please see this page for more information.

My Zenefits onboarding information is wrong, how can it be updated?

If any personal information or employment information is incorrect during the onboarding process, you will need to reach out to your administrator or HR Contact in order to make sure it is updated. Information such as your name, what documents are being requested, and any employment information can only be updated by your employer. 

If you are experiencing any technical issue while completing the onboarding process, please reach out to Zenefits Support.


► W-9 Form Classification

When filling out the W-9 section on Zenefits, you'll have to select a tax classification from the following options: 

  • Individual/sole proprietor or single-member LLC: Someone who owns an unincorporated business by themselves. If you are the sole member of a domestic limited liability company (LLC), you are not a sole proprietor if you elect to treat the LLC as a corporation. 
  • C Corporation: Conducts business, realizes net income or loss, pays taxes and distributes profits to shareholders. Recognized as a separate taxpaying entity for federal income purposes. 
  • S Corporation: Elect to pass corporate income, losses, deductions, and credits through to their shareholders for federal tax purposes. 
  • Partnership: Relationship between two or more persons who join to carry on a trade or business. Must file an annual information return to report income, etc, from its operations, but does not pay income tax.  Trust/estate: If the entity or person is a trust or estate. 
  • Limited liability company (C= C Corp; S= S Corp; P=Partnership): Depending on elections made by the LLC and the number of members, the IRS will treat an LLC as either a corporation, partnership, or as part of the LLC’ s owner’s tax return (a disregarded entity).


Backup Withholdings and FATCA Reporting

Backup withholding is when a payer is required to withhold tax from payments not otherwise subject to withholdings. Per the IRS given instructions, generally individuals are not exempt from backup withholding.

Independent contractors may be subject to backup withholding if: 


You don’t give payer your TIN in required manner  The IRS notifies the payer that the TIN you gave is incorrect  The IRS notifies the payer to start withholding on interest or dividends because you have underreported interest or dividends on your income tax return. IRS will only do this after it has mailed you 4 notices over at least a 120 day period.  You fail to certify that you’re not subject to backup withholding for underreporting of interest and dividends.  Being exempt from backup withholding requires that you provide a payee code. Payee codes can be found on Page 3 of the W-9 form.

FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act) requires that foreign financial institutions and certain other non financial foreign entities report on the foreign assets held by their U.S. account holders or be subject to withholding on withholdable payments.


FATCA exemption is associated with providing a FATCA reporting code. These can also be found on Page 3 of the W-9 form.


How to Edit Your Personal Information in Zenefits

Need to update some personal info in your Zenefits account? No problem! Follow the steps below to make these changes.

  • Log into your Zenefits account and click on the Personal Information app.
  • There are four sections that make up your Personal Info:
    • Basic Info
    • Contact Info
    • Addresses
    • Emergency Contacts
  • Click the pencil icon in the right corner of the section you'd like to update.
  • Make any desired edits, then press Save.
  • If you decide no edits are needed, you can press Cancel to exit without saving.

What exactly is in the Personal Info section? Keep reading to see!


Basic Info

  • Legal Name
  • Preferred First Name
  • Legal Gender
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number

Contact Info

  • Phone (and whether you'd like this to be displayed to coworkers)
  • Email
  • Work Phone
  • Work Email


  • Home Address

Emergency Contacts

  • Primary Contact
  • Secondary Contact


How can I edit my W-9 form?

If you're an independent contractor hired through Zenefits, you can edit your W-9 by taking these steps:

  1. Log in to your Zenefits account.
  2. Click the Personal Information app from your dashboard.
  3. Click Tax Info from the left menu.
  4. Next, click the pencil icon to edit the W-9.
  5. Save any changes you make.

Note that if these instructions don't match your Zenefits experience, your company may be using a legacy version of Zenefits. Learn more.


How can I find an independent contractor's W-9 form as an admin?

If you have hired a contractor through the Hiring app in Zenefits, you can follow these steps to locate their W-9 form:

  1. Log in to your Zenefits admin account.
  2. Click the Directory app, then click on the name of a contractor.
  3. Click on Tax Info from the left menu.
  4. You can view the contents of the W-9 form, but only the contractor will be able to edit.

If your company is using the legacy version of the Zenefits Contractors app, you can find instructions on how to find a W-9 here.




  • Was this article helpful?