What if I reached the wage cap for social security with a previous employer?

If you've already met the annual wage base limit for Social Security with a previous employer in a given year, you can contact a tax advisor to recover any excess tax paid on your personal returns.

However, your current employer is still require to withhold and pay Social Security taxes up to the annual wage base limit for wages paid to you, even if you've reached the limit for the year with a prior employer. Employers cannot honor the Social Security wage cap for wages paid to a current employee by a former employer.

Was this answer helpful?  

Still need our help? Our support team is waiting to help you. Contact us