Is there anything I should know about F-1 Visa student onboarding?
When a student on an F-1 Visa onboards with Zenefits and is prompted for their Eligibility Documentation, the onboarding process differs slightly.
Selecting Eligibility Type
Students on an F-1 Visa will select either "An alien with an Employment Authorization Document" or "An alien with a work visa," depending on their circumstance.
- Students on CPT will select "An alien with a work visa."
- Students on OPT will select "An alien with an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)."
Complete Required Information: CPT
If the student is on CPT, they will first select F-1 from the list of Document Types and complete the following fields, including F-1 Visa expiration date, I-94 number, and Foreign Passport Number.
Complete Required Information: OPT
If the student is on OPT, they will first select F-1 from the list of Document Types and complete the following fields, including Alien Registration Number /USCIS Number, expiration date, and Visa type (F-1).
Upload Supporting Documentation
The next screen will be an upload tool for the supporting documentation. This will be either:
- One identity and work authorization document, or
- One identity document and one work authorization document
Documents for CPT
F-1 nonimmigrant students participating in CPT are issued three documents that, when presented together, establish identity and employment authorization under List A for Form I-9 purposes:
- The student’s unexpired foreign passport
- Form I-20 with the Designated School Official’s endorsement for employment on page 3
- A valid Form I-94 or I-94A indicating F-1 nonimmigrant status
Documents for OPT
The EAD establishes the student’s identity and employment authorization. The employer should record the Alien Registration Number, card number and expiration date under List A in Section 2 of Form I-9.
You can upload one file with multiple documents, or you can upload separate files for each document. These documents must be legible and in .pdf, .png, .jpg, or .jpeg formats only.
Thank you for the feedback!