Account Number(s) Needed:
Employers who pay employees in Vermont must register with the VT Department of Taxes for a Withholding Account Number and register with the VT Department of Labor for an Employer Account Number.
Vermont Department of Taxes Withholding Account Number: WHT99999999 (WHT 8 digits)
- Apply online at the VT Secretary of State's Online Business Service Center to receive a Withholding Account Number within 5-7 days.
- Authorize Zenefits as a third-party agent to file and pay taxes
- Find an existing Withholding Account Number:
- on Form WH-431, Employer's Quarterly Wage Report or Form WH-434, Employer's Annual Wage Report.
- by contacting the Dept. of Taxes via their contact page.
Vermont Department of Labor Employer Account Number: 999 9999 (7 digits)
Required Payroll Documentation:
- Form WHT-436 (Quarterly Withholding Reconciliation and Health Care Contribution): This report is a good source of information to use to balance VT Wages paid and taxes withheld for prior quarters.
- C-101 (Employer's Quarterly Wage and Contribution Report): This return is filed electronically. Use a payroll report that contains SSN, Employee Name, Quarter Gross Wages, Quarterly Taxable Wages, and employer contribution amounts.
Third Party Access /POA Needed:
Local Income Taxes Imposed:
Visit state resources for specific tax rates and wage details
Dept. of Taxes for withholding taxes
Dept. of Labor for unemployment taxes